- 6 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Arrange a large bamboo steamer or a large vegetable steamer over simmering water. Make sure it is large enough to hold the baking pan. Line a 9 inch square pan with waxed paper.
- Separate the eggs. Place the yolks in a large bowl along with the sugar and water. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until the mixture has increased about three times in volume. Whisk together the flour and the baking powder; sift this over the egg mixture, and fold in gently. Blend in the extract.
- Whip the egg whites in a clean bowl to stiff, not dry, peaks. Fold into yolk base. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and smooth out to edges. Rap the pan on the counter to get rid of large air bubbles.
- Place the pan into the steamer. Cover the top of the steamer with a kitchen towel, and place the lid on top; the towel will absorb any steam that collects on top from dripping onto the cake. Steam for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioner's sugar.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 193 | Total Fat: 2.7g | Cholesterol: 106mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database Nutritional Information Chinese Steamed Cake Servings Per Recipe: 12 Amount Per Serving Calories: 193
- Total Fat: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 106mg
- Sodium: 56mg
- Total Carbs: 37.6g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 4.6g